Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ode to Gabe

I don't know what I ever did in life to deserve Gabriel. To be able to spend my life with him is such an amazing honor, I can only hope he will not realize what he got himself into and run for the hills.

I was never able to trust anyone before I met Gabe. I was never able let myself fully receive love from anyone. Even once we met, it took years for me to come around and accept all the wonderful things he was trying so hard to give me. I want to thank him for his patience and his willingness to stick it out, even when things may not have always been perfect.

I am not an easy person to love. "I don't believe it" you say? Well, let me just give you a few examples of the crap I put my darling 'better half' through on a daily basis-

First off we will start with my lack for forethought in anything. Example: I almost always forget to get a towel when I go to take a shower. Once I am in there he usually always opens the door and says, "Here is your towel, I figured you forgot" He could very well teach me a lesson and not bring me the towel I haven't even had to ask for yet, but he chooses to be an awesome person and take care of me.

There is the constant forgetfulness which can range from losing keys and cell phones to various other items of importance like losing debit cards and not remembering to feed the dog. Ahhhhh, Gabe is a lucky man you say? I haven't even gotten started.

Ordering food at pretty much any eating establishment will definitely earn me at least one eye roll. The pickiness of having things a certain way would have sent most guys running a long time ago.

Never having my cell phone charged and almost always having the gas light on in my car when he jumps in it to run an errand, all things that, as my family puts it 'Makes Gabe a Saint!' Very annoying, I admit, but very typical of me!

The punches I give him when I say something stupid, because somehow I have to punish him for it. Watching a football game when our teams are playing each other is horrible. He stays the better man by being solemn while I choose to taunt and trash his team.

While I give him all this grief and dismay, he gives me the simple sweet pleasures in life that make me feel lucky to have him.

When I can't sleep, or I am cold, he goes and warms a blankie up in the dryer and lays it over me.

After whining about my headache, he will get me some Excederine because I have not yet done it myself.

He tells me I look pretty when I feel horrible.

He calms me down when I am having a famous 'freak out' about something.

He sets my alarm clock for me because for some reason I refuse to learn how to, although secretly I could figure it out if I cared to.

But most of all, after 14 1/2 years together, he still gives me butterflies in my stomach. You know, the kind you get when you are first in love with someone? I still get them, in fact I am getting them right now just thinking of him.

I am a lucky gal, what can I say? Besides being the amazing man listed above, he is absolutely gorgeous! How did I get so lucky to have the entire package? He is just a well rounded, well hung individual who got trapped by the three ring circus.... You know, Hook (Addie), Line (Noah) and Sinker (Zane).

Happy Anniversary Baby! I am so sad we won't be together to celebrate it, but I promise when I get home we will have a lot of making up to do! :o)

No comments: