Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Cure-Salt Lake City


Wow, let me just start off by saying WOW!!


I can associate so many of my life experiences with this single band. The first time I saw The Cure, I was 16 years old. I slept out for tickets downtown, and the whole night was nothing but a massive fucking party. The most significant thing about it at the time, was Gabe and I were together then. We had been going out for about seven months, and I was so in love. When the concert came around, I was pregnant with Adison, although I was not aware for a few weeks later. I had front row seats to that concert, front fucking row to see the most amazing band I have yet to compare anything to.


The second time I saw them, I was a young mother, still with Gabe, and not even close to the person I was just a few years prior to that. I had seventh row seats to that concert.


The thrid time I saw them, I thought for sure they were ending. Their album Bloodflowers had came out, and all the lyrics seemed to me to be about their time coming to an end. I saw them in Las Vegas at The Hard Rock Hotel were there were only a few thousand people allowed in the venue. It was all g/a, so we had to wait outside all day in 112 degree temperatures just to ensure we would be standing as close to the stage as possible. I was with Gabe and my best friend Kim. Noah was just over a year old, and we had been through so much with him at that point. A week later, I saw The Cure in Salt Lake City (5th row), then the next day Kim and I jumped on a plane and saw them in Denver the next night---without Gabe. It was amazing to see them 3 times on that tour.


The sixth time I saw them, I slept out for tickets with Kim and Adison. At this point, there is no need to sleep out for tickets, however, we wanted to have that experience again. I was pregnant with Zane, and my due date was August 18th, the exact date the concert was. I told my doctor either this baby is born, or I go to a concert with him. I was suppose to be on bedrest and had a hard pregnancy, so luckliy I was enduced exactly 1 week before the concert. It was a hard concert to be at, not being fully healed from having Zane, I sat in a suite with my friend Melissa because our tickets were g/a, and I knew I would not hold up the whole night standing in front of the stage. I missed being with Kim during that, and Gabe had given my ticket to Spencer, so I was no were near them. I felt alone without them, but I felt very lucky to get to see them despite everything else.


The seventh time, this last time, was amazing. I felt so alive seeing them, just knowing that even as I have followed this band from my days in middle school, they have followed me through so much as well. I sat in the 11th row with Gabe, the person I was with when I had first seen them 16 years before, my best freind Kim who has always been in my life, she is my rock, my Dad, who is going through radiation therapy right now for cancer, and my daughter Adison. My daughter who is approaching the age I was when I saw them for the first time.


I will be seeing them again on June 3rd in San Diego with Gabe and Kim. I can't wait for that show, I know it will be amazing.


I could go on and on about this all day, but I will end here. Go buy Distinigration if you have never really listened to The Cure. This single album changed my life, and I still find comfort and inspiration from it.


No comments: