Sunday, December 09, 2007

Christmas Music

Last night I took the kiddos out looking at twinkly lights, and I had a sudden urge to stick on some Christmas music. Well, I found two radio stations that were playing blissful carols, and let me tell you, I would have rather been masturbating with a cactus than listening to the god awful tunes that were streaming through the speakers. Maybe it is Utah, maybe it is Christmas in general, but where is the diversity, where is the love/hate relationship that exists with the holidays. Christmas is not always the sweet perfection the songwriters would like you to believe- where is the greed, the gluttony, the absurdity?

I came home and put on The Reverend Horton Heats, We Three Kings right away. All Christmas music should be like that. Something you could sing along with, not roll your eyes to. Something you can FUCK to, not make love to, something you can enjoy and not want to stab at your ears with a sharp object. Okay, okay, okay, they are just covers of Christmas classics, but they are sooooo much better.

Bah Humbug!

No comments: