Monday, April 09, 2007

Knee Surgery

Well, it is over, the knee surgery went very well. I came home from the hospital on Friday, and I have been sittin' my fat ass in bed ever since.

Re-cap of all the events-

Going to sleep- Being put under anesthesia is a very weird feeling. One minute you are awake, the next minute you are in recovery feeling like shit.

Morphine sucks. After the second dose they gave me, I asked them to never give it to me again. It makes you feel uncontrollably tired and nauseous beyond belief. I feel asleep trying to eat a craker while talking to someone.

Slumber Party in the Hospital- Addie and Nikki spent the night with me in the hospital. They were so sweet and helpful, I just love them. The nurses were real cool too, they didn't say anything about them being there, even though everyone on the floor, but me, had to share a room. The girls got to sleep in the hospital bed next to me.

The first meal you can actually eat at the hospital taste fabulous. That's right, an egg salad sandwich at 10:00 at night may have been my best meal ever!

You never sleep in the hospital. I woke up at 2:00 in the morning to pee, and needed a pain pill but didn't want to bother them, so I just laid there hoping I would fall asleep, but didn't! Nikki woke up at 4:00 and stayed up with me. We decorated my TED hose, the cute little white tights they make you wear for a week. We drew all kinds of cute stuff on them like skulls, pirate stuff, flowers, a cute little cow, etc..., etc... I will attach a picture later.

Physical Therapy is so much harder than you think it will be. Sure, when they are teaching you the exercises to do they seem super simple, but fuck me! They are actually very hard! I did far more than they thought I would be able to do the day after surgery, but I was so into proving I could do it all, that I totally forgot about the fact that I would eventually feel it. OMG, did I ever feel it!

Friday was a series of mental breakdowns. I was waiting too long to take my pain meds, as I thought I was too tough too take them as much as they said I should be. I finally realized that taking pain meds was going to be critical in feeling better, as it is impossible to do physical therapy when you hurt so bad to begin with. I told myself I am not weak, and I wasn't going to let it get to me. Pretty much since then I have been doing good.

I have been just laying in bed, watching movies, having visitors and sleeping since Thursday. I am just excited to be able to get out of bed and start moving again. Hopefully I will be a new Heather once it is all done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur doing so good!!! keep up the good work and you'll be up and running in no time! i heart you with all my love

Anonymous said...

Sweety, I wish I was there with you. Please quit trying to be so tough. I know it doesn't matter now but the nurses are paid to give you pain meds and anything else you need at ANY time. You are so stupid (love ya) sometimes. I'm glad you posted because I've been worried about you. Keep up the physical therapy and maybe we'll actually run that marathon, I mean half marathon, I mean 5K someday. :)